Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hooks in the water

With so many hooks in the water, it's hard to tell what will come up first. I find myself applying for positions that make no tangible sense regardless of the number of times I read the description and qualifications, skimming downward to compensation and noting a few keywords along the way, I apply. It's kind of fun... these many interviews always on one side of a long meeting-room table with nothing beside me but empty chairs, no lawyer or agent to assist. And on the other side, the business trifecta with stapled pamphlets in their hands, smiling and nervous. My last interview they were more nervous than I; that was a first.

They always come in threes. And I'm clueless to everything but the fact that they need to like me, the bottom line, and anything concerning my credentials would be a bonus. The next one is in a week. I'll crawl back to my old job until then and make a few dollars. I'm on a slow tour, my publicity is growing I can feel it. Makes me miss Idaho. It was so easy. Cold can beer fishing and never catching anything. The Bay Area tugs the line. I'm the fisherman that comes up with a dripping shoe, sole peeled up from the toe. I always liked that old cartoon cliché.

2 comments:

NettyL said...

The horse that I speak of is the work related horse.

My friend's Chinese parents used to always tell her, "Sometimes you have to ride your horse out to meet your horse."

I find that ringing truer every day.

I thought about you today on my way to work after reading this passage,

"At first the truths that Phaedrus began to pursue were lateral truths ; no longer the frontal truths of science, those toward which the discipline pointed, but the kind of truth you see laterally, out of the corner of your eye. In a laboratory situation, when your whole procedure goes haywire, when everything goes wrong or is indeterminate or is so screwed up by unexpected results you can't make head or tail out of anything, you start looking laterally. That's a word he later used to describe a growth of knowledge that doesn't move forward like an arrow in flight, but expands sideways, like an arrow enlarging in flight, or like the archer, discovering that although he has hit the bull's-eye and won the prize, his head is on a pillow and the sun is coming in the window. Lateral knowledge is knowledge that's from a wholly unexpected direction, from a direction that's not even understood as a direction, until the knowledge forces itself upon one. Lateral truths point to the falseness of axioms and postulates underlying one's existing system of getting at truth."

NettyL said...

That being said, I'm sure that our proper horses are close by waiting to be hitched and saddled. :)